d20 Modern Conversion: Advanced Classes - Field Medic and Investigator

This week, the next installment of the d20 Modern conversion introduces two more advanced classes for the conversion: the Field Medic and the Investigator.

Refer to my first advanced classes post regarding my planned update schedule and goals with these advanced classes.

I had originally planned to release the Field Scientist and Techie advanced classes this week. However, I then realised that these advanced classes would both really need the equipment of the conversion to be sorted out before they were fleshed out at all, especially the Techie. I've made a little headway into the equipment, but I really don't have the time to complete it right now. Rather than release two useless and slightly unfinished advanced classes, I've decided to put them on hold for now.

The Field Medic

Able to patch up the worst wounds you can find, the Field Medic is a worthy addition to any team. I've tried to do something a little different with the Field Medic's mechanics, and I ended up with something between a Battle Master and Paladin when it comes to resources. As it is now, it should be fairly balanced, but my major concern is that it's just overcomplicated. I could easily make this advanced class more Battle Master-like, but I'm worried that would limit the amount of healing they can do way too much. I could even make it more Paladin-like or even Monk-like, but with a Paladin-like system I'd lose the semi-random nature of healing, and with Monk-like I'm concerned their smallest unit of healing would be too big. I'd really like any feedback here, as I'm a little lost. It kinda ties into the whole subclass resources issue I mentioned in the first advanced classes post which I'm still on the fence about.

The Investigator

If you need a mystery solving or a suspect tracking down, and Investigator can get the job done. I haven't changed a whole lot in this advanced class compared to Edward Wilson's d20 Modern Conversion, mostly introducing small tweaks here and there. Compared to the other advanced classes, it seemed a little sparse for features, so I brought in the "Play a Hunch" feature from the Shadow Hunter d20 Modern advanced class. I switched up the "Apprehend" feature a little, making it a lot like the "Neutralise Target" feature on the Bodyguard advanced class. I don't have any particular concerns with this advanced class at this point, but any feedback is still much appreciated.

The document on GM Binder: The Field Medic and The Investigator

That's all for this week. Depending on how this week goes, I might start releasing the Equipment rules so I can get down on the Techie and Field Scientist properly, or I might release the Personality and Negotiator advanced classes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Modern Conversion Advanced Classes Compilation

d20 Modern Conversion: Robot Race