Warlock to Advocate: Eldritch Invocations Analysis

Hey all, I was just working on the second draft of the Advocate advanced class, planning to release it in a post in a few days. When I was taking a second pass over the Eldritch Invocations the Advocate would have access to, I ran into the question of how to change their level prerequisites in a way that makes sense. I started doing some quick analysis of this and thought it might make for an interesting post. Well maybe not interesting, but informative? Insightful? Anything?

The main issue I was struggling with was the invocations that grant you access to spells. Considering the Advocate advanced class gets access to higher level spells more slowly than the Warlock, should the level requirement be raised for an invocation that gives them access to a spell? As with many things, I started off by making a spreadsheet.


I think a key distinction here is whether using the invocation requires a spell slot or not. If no slot is required, it feels more like an extra feature or innate power that is being granted. In this case, the level requirements don't seem like they need changing, at least that's my theory. So let's run with that for now, and focus our interest on the invocations that do require spell slots.


It seems like there's a pretty solid relationship in this subgroup of invocations - the level requirements line up perfectly with the levels a Warlock would gain access to the spell slot level required. Well that's wonderful, should make converting the level requirements pretty easy. Unfortunately, the Advocate doesn't get 5th-level spell slots, so the "Minions of Chaos" invocation that grants that spell will either need to be reworked or dropped.

Well that's more or less all I wanted to talk about here. Look out for the reworked Advocate plus another advanced class or two, they should be up within the next week. I don't know if anyone really finds this sorta post interesting, where I try to explain some of my method when I'm designing homebrew. Personally, I find this sort of methodological approach pretty helpful for when I get stuck on a certain decision, and maybe you will to. Or maybe not. Either way, see you next time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Modern Conversion Advanced Classes Compilation

d20 Modern Conversion: Robot Race