d20 Modern Conversion: Magical Advanced Classes 2 (Advocate and Scion)

This week, the next installment of the d20 Modern conversion introduces the second batch of magical advanced classes: the Advocate and the Scion.

These advanced classes are for use with my modern base classes.

I was originally planning to release a third advanced class, the Occultist, in the update this week, but it seems that currently two is about the limit I can finish to a level where I'm happy to release them in a week. Not to worry though, the Occultist is set to make an appearance within the next couple weeks regardless.

The Advocate

Done a deal with a devil? The Advocate is a half-caster advanced class that mimics the functionality of a warlock.

One of the trickier things about this advanced class to deal with was Eldritch Invocations. In the Warlock class, usually when you get another Eldritch Invocation they're the only non-Pact Magic based feature you get, aside from 12th and 15th level. This would indicate they're supposed to be the main new feature for that level, however you also get them at the same time as significant Pact Magic advancements which would seem to downplay their significance. I've had a look at all of the Eldritch Invocations, and their power seems to vary quite significantly, from stuff you could use all the time (Armor of Shadows, Thirsting Blade, Misty Visions), to stuff that would only be any good for roleplay purposes (Eyes of the Rune Keeper). This is important, as it determines how many features to give the Advocate on 7th, 10th and 15th level. At the end of the day, I went with what felt right, but I may yet shuffle around the abilities just a tad.

The Scion

Born into a power beyond their understanding, the Scion is a half-caster advanced class that mimics the functionality of a sorcerer.

Forming the Scion turned out to be a bit of a breeze honestly, but I'm still not totally happy with the end result. I'm a little worried some of the features lean a little too hard on their sorcery point pool, since they already have a fair amount of ways to use them. Also, I think the end result feels a little bit too technical for a sorcerer mimic. I've always viewed sorcerers as the "blaster" type of spellcaster, but the "Transmitted Manipulation" and "Autographic Adjustment" feel more like a skilled, careful spellcaster.

The document on GM Binder: The Advocate and The Scion

Thanks to u/IonutRO for their contributions towards the Scion advanced class.

Well that's all you get this week. I'm not totally sure if there will be a post next weekend, since I'm moving into my university accommodation on the Saturday. I'll keep working on the Occultist through the week, and if I don't have anything else by Friday I'll consider releasing it by itself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Modern Conversion Advanced Classes Compilation

d20 Modern Conversion: Robot Race