d20 Modern Conversion: Psionic Advanced Classes (Battle Mind and Telepath)

This week, the next installment of the d20 Modern conversion introduces the a pair of psionic advanced classes: the Battle Mind and the Telepath.

These advanced classes are for use with my modern base classes.

Sorry about the outage last week, I couldn't quite manage to build up a full post before my trip, but I'm back in action now. This week, psionics.

I've been fairly cautious to approach psionics so far, as I'm well aware of some of the issues regarding them in 5th Edition so far. The unearthed arcana mystic class has had a very mixed reception, and it is still unclear how psionics will be implemented in 5th Edition. In his Happy Fun Hour livestreams, Mike Mearl's has also introduced psionic subclasses using a unique psionics spell list, which will feature a range of new psionically-themed spells, so magic users can use psionic abilities and have them feel distinct from regular spells to a certain extent without requiring a totally separate system like the Mystic.

I've had these advanced classes on the back burner for quite a while now, and didn't want to wait much longer. I'd originally planned to base them off the Mystic class, using a scaled down version of the talents and disciplines system, but having seen all the issues regarding that system I've opted for something a little lighter: a spell point caster.

With a psionics spell list potentially on the horizon, I think this option is pretty good, as these advanced classes will be able to use that spell list when it comes around. For now though, they have a spell list built from the standard D&D 5E roster.

These advanced classes are certainly a degree more rough-and-ready than some I have released in the past, and I'm yet to work out some of the kinks.

The Battle Mind

The Battle Mind is something of a psionic monk, using their mental energy to empower weapon strikes.

Most iterations of the Battle Mind (including the d20 Modern version) give the player some sort of manifested psychic weapon, but I chose to go a slightly differen't route. Instead of giving them a weapon linked to their abilites, they have the ability to power up melee strikes with extra force damage. The goal is to be a little less restrictive in how they approach combat and retain some equipment importance. I don't really have any particular issues with it's current integration, though I am concerned they are rather lacking in options.

The Telepath

The Telepath is your more traditional psionic, invading minds and moving objects with their psychic powers.

Some of the abilities in this advanced class are shamelessly stolen from Mike Mearl's School of Psionics mage draft because they just fit the concept so well. Others are sort of ideas that quickly spiraled and got very much away from me, Power Surge in particular. I'm still working out specifics for a lot of the abilities, but they are generally modeled against standard 5th Edition abilities (Inner Focus parallels Arcane Recovery, for example) so shouldn't be too wack.

The document on GM Binder: The Battle Mind and the Telepath

Well that's that. Again, I'd like to apologise for the hiatus last week and the delay for this post, but everything should be back to normal now, at least for a couple weeks before I go to uni. I'm considering a switch up to my update schedule that will hopefully be a bit more flexible and resistant to breaks, essentially I would put out smaller updates more frequently (every 4 days or so) and then a larger update every fortnight or so. I'm still not totally sold on the idea (smaller updates boo!), but let me know if you think that would be better. I'm not sure if I'm going to do any more of these psionics advanced classes, but if anyone has a prime idea for one they'd love to see be sure to let me know, I might just like it too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Modern Conversion Advanced Classes Compilation

d20 Modern Conversion: Robot Race